Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The city in which I live

Marco and I have been living in Santa Ana for 2 years now and I have to admit, certain sounds really bothered me at the beginning and I wasn’t too sure how I felt about all the people selling things outside the stores and the other happenings that seemed to go on that made the area not so quiet. I have to say that these same things are what now make me really love where I live.

The little ring of the bell that once bugged me to no end now gets me excited because it means there is some really delicious ice cream (or corn) headed our way.

The mariachi band playing really loud, late into the night would really get to me and I had a hard time sleeping. I now love hearing it and being able to feel the joy that people are experiencing from them playing. It also makes me want to stay up a little later to get my merengue or salsa moves on.

The people selling tamales and champurrado in front of the 99-cent store would tend to get to me a little more than they should. I can now say that I’m extremely sad that our champurrado guy is no longer there along with some pretty awesome tamales his wife made. I now enjoy when Marco comes home from a little excursion with delicious foods from those people in front of the store.

The smell of carne asada and other such delicious foods that surround our building so many days of the week is just glorious.

The rooster that crows at all hours of the day and night makes me smile, where it used to drive me absolutely batty.

I love the culture that surrounds me and the warmth of the people that I see walking down the street.

I have to say that I am extremely happy where I live and it will be a sad day when I have to move away.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

i want tamale's where do they sell them?

Jamie said...

:) There is usually someone selling them in front of the 99-cent only store on Main between 15th and 17th. I'll have to ask Marco where the best ones are though since he gets them from different locations each time.

Kimi said...

That was a happy blog :) I have to wonder, though... will you still like the noises when you have a newborn ;)

Jeanette said...

I love this blog! Isn't it wonderful to fall in love with where you live? It's the same thing with me and the squirrels and birds, though as of yet I've to see a single tamale or even a taquito! Mind you, still have not fallen in love with tamales but do love a really good empanada.

Don't worry about the little one and the noise, she'll get used to it in no time.