Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor and Delivery of Anthony

I thought I was going to have Anthony earlier than his estimated date of arrival. One reason being that the measurement of my uterus was 2 weeks ahead from the time they started measuring. Seriously, every appointment I was measuring 2 weeks ahead of his due date. Another reason is the fact that I started having contractions 2 weeks before I actually had him. Every day I was wondering whether or not it would be the day as I would have contractions that would last for a few hours but then dissipate. 

Fast forward to Monday, August 12. I started having contractions at about 2:00 a.m. that were actually bothering me and I remember thinking to myself, "Seriously? I'm tired and these are probably going to stop in an hour or so anyway." Well those contractions became closer together and more consistent throughout the rest of the day and by about 5:00 p.m. I was feeling the way I had when I headed over to the hospital with Gabriella. Because of this, I decided to call the midwives and tell them that I was having consistent contractions and to be on alert because I was pretty sure I was in labor. They told me to get some rest and to make sure I had everything ready (i.e., tub blown up, hose attached, towels in place, beds made up, etc. - if you want to see everything I had to have feel free to check it out here) I asked Marco for a blessing and I remember it being all about Anthony. It was interesting and looking back, exactly what I needed at the time.

Well, I continued to have contractions until about 11:00 p.m. and then they just tapered out. I was super bummed. I was so ready to meet the little guy and I was tired of having all this contractions only to lead to nothing. Well, I went to bed and was awakened again at about 2:00 a.m. to contractions, a little worse than the day before. I figured I wouldn't think anything of it since this had already happened and I didn't want to get my hopes up. I tried to go back to sleep to no avail since I kept having contractions that were about 5-7 minutes apart. When I finally got up for the day, I remembered that I had my appointment with the midwives and figured I would finally let them check to see if I was dilated/effaced at all and if these contractions were really doing anything of significance. 

I arrived at my appointment and my midwife, Kaitlyn, asked how I was doing. I informed her that I was having contractions that were more consistent and a little more intense than the day before but I was handling them okay. She asked if I wanted to be checked for dilation/effacement and I said yes. She also suggested that she strip my membranes a little bit while she checked me to encourage my body to get things going so I wouldn't be so tired from more days of contractions and lack of sleep. I readily agreed. When she checked me I was 3-4cm and about 50% effaced. Then she stripped the membranes. Ouch. Also, very uncomfortable. After all that happened, Kaitlyn suggested I go walking somewhere and then try to take a nap because it was very possible I could have the baby later that day.

Well, Marco and I decided to take the girls out to lunch and holy hannah did those contractions really start hurting. The stripping of the membranes certainly did something to me. Every 4-5 minutes during our lunch I had to close my eyes and really focus on making it through each contraction. I was very grateful for all my breathing exercises and yoga that helped me stay relaxed and super quiet throughout these contractions. Otherwise, I think I would have really freaked everyone out at the restaurant. 

The contractions kept coming and I told Marco I wasn't up to going somewhere to walk, I just wanted to go home. So home we went. The contractions continued throughout the day and at about 4:00 p.m. Kaitlyn came over to check on me and see how I was progressing. Boo to this check because I was still the same as I was when she checked me at 10:00 a.m. I was a bit discouraged since I had been having such awful, consistent contractions. She told me to try going on a walk to see if it made things happen. I did go on a walk, but it didn't make anything increase. I received a call from Kaitlyn at about 8:00 p.m., and she told me she had talked to the other midwives and they all thought it would be best if I stopped trying to make things happen and to get as much rest as possible so I'm not exhausted for when things really start happening. I went to bed at about 10:00 p.m. and was able to sleep until about 2:00 a.m. thanks to the midwives suggesting I take a bath and some Tylenol p.m. 

I bet you can guess what happens at 2:00 a.m. Yup, the contractions started up again but way worse than the contractions from the day before. I remember thinking, "How do they keep getting worse? They were so painful yesterday?!" Well, they do and for that I am grateful because these contractions really meant something. I woke Marco up around 4:00 a.m. and told him that I was tired and wanted to cry and I needed Kaitlyn to come over. He convinced me to wait until 6:00 a.m. to call her. I think he was feeling that maybe things weren't really happening since it had been 2 days of this already. Well, by about 5:50 a.m. I was begging Marco to get Kaitlyn on the phone because I was in so much pain and I wanted her to come check me. I think I might have been crying because I was so tired. I think this convinced him. So, Marco got Kaitlyn on the phone and she talked to me and listened to me during a couple contractions and told me she would be at my house within an hour. It was after this phone call I asked Marco for a blessing and I was so glad later on that I did.

That hour felt like the longest hour ever. 

Well, Kaitlyn finally arrived and came in to check me and guess what?! I was 6-7 cm and about 75% effaced. Hallelujah things were happening and I was officially going to have my baby. I was super excited and might have actually exclaimed, "Yay!" when she told me. I was so ready to be done with this whole labor thing. Kaitlyn told Marco to start filling the pool at this point. I labored for about another hour when Kaitlyn suggested I try getting in the pool to see if it sped things up or slowed things down. Unfortunately, it slowed things down. From when I got in the tub at about 8:00 a.m., my other midwife, Cindy, and the midwife assistant, Christina, showed up. It was really great to see both of them. Cindy suggested I get out of the pool (which I needed to anyway since if felt like every 2 seconds I had to go to the bathroom) and start walking again since it seemed like that is what made my labor progress.


Marco and I decided to go outside for a little bit and walk. It was really nice to be in the cool air. My contractions were still pretty consistent and at the same pain level as they were at 2:00 a.m. After we walked for about 15 minutes (which I would have gone longer if I didn't have to use the bathroom again) we went inside and went into our bedroom. I labored in there for awhile, walked up and down the stairs for a little bit, labored in the room with the pool for a little bit. My contractions were super intense but I was able to smile afterward and talk to those around me. 

Since my contractions didn't seem to be getting any more intense (which is a sign that things are progressing) Cindy suggested that I start to squat as soon as I felt a contraction coming on because it would really help move the baby down. I did that with my next contraction and oh boy did it hurt. Doing that definitely made the contractions worse, which made me not want to do it, but I did it anyway because I was so ready to meet my baby. After a couple of these contractions it was suggested that Kaitlyn check my progress so they could see where I was at and do a little more stripping of the membranes to help things move along. 

Holy goodness that check was the worst I had ever experienced. I was still only 7 cm (which totally sucked since that is where I was at 7:00 a.m. and I felt like this was going to go on forever). After Kaitlyn checked me she told me she was going to keep her hand there to see what happened when I had a contraction and when that next contraction hit it was like a freight train hit me. I was unable to stay quiet any longer and had to moan or I was going to explode. The pain was so intense it was all I could do to stay composed. This all happened at about 10:00 a.m. That is when I really started transitioning and this little boy started moving down the birth canal. 

It was so painful. Seriously, so so painful. It was at this point when I had my first thought of "Why on earth did I choose to do this at home? I have no way out of this pain." It was also at this point when I recalled parts of the blessing Marco gave me early that morning. I was told in the blessing that I needed to have patience and that my father in heaven would give me the strength I needed to make it through. I wasn't alone and I would have assistance to do what I needed to bring this special spirit into the world.


After dealing with the contractions out of the pool for what seemed like an eternity (which was probably only about 15-20 minutes) Kaitlyn suggested I get in the pool again which I probably would have done anyway because at that point I don't think anyone could have done anything to keep me out. I was so ready to feel the relief that being in water gives during the contractions. It isn't that the pain disappears or is diminished in any way, but the lack of gravity or pressure that comes from being in water makes it so much easier to deal with the contractions. It was after I got in the pool that the contractions really picked up, but in a different way. I started having 2 contractions back to back and then a longer time in between the next 2. I started to feel the urge to push and the midwives told me to go ahead and do whatever it was my body was telling me. It was so nice to have someone caring for you that trusted you to tell them what you were feeling. Not looking at monitors and telling you what you were feeling. I stared pushing at about 10:50 a.m.

It was at this point Marco left the room to go get Eliana. She had requested that she be there to see her baby brother born and I am so, so happy that we let her be a part of his birth. She was smiling the entire time and exclaimed very quietly, "I'm so excited!" After pushing for not much time, Anthony was born at 11:02 a.m. Immediately after Anthony was born Eliana said to me, "I knew you could do it, Mommy. I knew you could do it!" It was so sweet and such a tender moment for me. 

I was able to hold Anthony until his cord stopped pulsing at which time Marco cut his cord and I delivered the placenta. I was then taken out of the pool and got in the bed where I was given Anthony again so we could have some skin to skin time and where he immediately started snorting and rooting around so he could nurse, which he did and has continued to do like a champ. 

I was told I tore just a little bit and required only 2 stitches. This made me super happy since I had required a good amount more with both the girls. After I was all stitched up (and cleaned up) Kaitlyn helped me to the bathroom, then into my clothes and then to my bed where I got to snuggle my little boy and have the girls come in to see their baby brother. 

It was amazing. It still is amazing to me. I love that I can remember his birth so well and that after I had him I was so coherent and in the moment. I love that I didn't have to go anywhere during labor or after delivery but to my own room. I love that Eliana was able to be there and that Gabriella could meet her brother so soon after being born. I love that I felt so in control and so empowered by this birth. I knew that my body could do what it needed to and that I had so much support while it all happened. I am so happy I had a home birth. My recovery so far has been so much easier. The pain afterward so much less. I am ever so thankful to my Heavenly Father for giving me those promptings at the very beginning to choose the midwives I did and to plan on a home birth. 

It was amazing.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Beautiful story! Wow, you are a trooper! I totally remember feeling so many of those emotions and my labors were short. So happy for you!

Unknown said...

You are a rock star. Seriously.