I have had so many people asking me about my decision to have my baby at home as well as what my experience actually doing that was, I figured I should write about it all. I still can't believe it has been almost two weeks since I had our sweet Anthony. It seems like he has been with us for always, but it also seems like just yesterday I discovered I was pregnant.
This post will be only be about how I made the decision to have a home birth. I will do a separate one about the actual labor and delivery.
The decision to have another baby was a very big one for me. Marco as well, but I think even more for me. I know it is a big decision every time you decide to add another little human being to the mix, but this time was bigger. When I had the feeling it was time to have another baby Gabriella was only 9 months old and I thought to myself, "Are you crazy?!!" I had just had a baby 9 months ago, why on earth would I want to do that again so soon. It wasn't until almost 2 months after having the feeling did I tell Marco what I was feeling. The reason for this was I prayed, and prayed, and prayed to my Heavenly Father to help me know what I was feeling was right and also that I would have the strength to handle the pregnancy, not only physically but emotionally. It was when I finally felt the peace I could do this was when I told Marco. When I finally verbalized my desire to have another child to Marco, the rightness of the decision was felt greatly by both of us.
We were blessed that I became pregnant the month we decided we wanted another child. I remember knowing I was pregnant, but also knowing that I would have to wait awhile before a test would show positive.
After a few weeks, I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I remember that immense feeling of joy when I saw the + on the stick. Almost immedietly after the confirmation I was pregnant I had the thought, "Contact the Hackettstown Midwives."
After I had that thought, I pretty much put it out of my mind because I knew they didn't accept my health insurance and we would have to pay for the entire pregnancy out-of-pocket. Because of this, I contacted the office that I knew took my insurance and set-up an appointment. I had my first visit and ultrasound where I found I was 6 weeks pregnant. (Know that throughout the time of me finding out I was pregnant and the date of my first appointment was about 2 1/2 weeks. During that time I constantly had in the back of my head that I needed to contact the Hackettstown Midwives.) So, after my first visit and ultrasound, I told Marco I was still feeling like we needed to meet with the midwives. He told me to go ahead and set up a consultation since it didn't cost anything and it wouldn't hurt to meet with them. I made the phone call and the date was set when we would get to meet with the midwives.
It was about 2-3 weeks between my first visit and my consultation with the midwives. During this time, I kept getting the strongest feeling that I shouldn't stay with my current provider and when we finally had our consultation with the midwives I knew that they were who I needed to see for the duration of the pregnancy. I also knew after meeting with them that having a home birth is what was right for me.
Even though I knew this is what was right, I still had a hard time accepting it at first. I was someone who thought having a baby at home wasn't a very wise decision, but after lots and lots of research and prayer I knew that this is what I needed to plan on so I did. If it hadn't been for the support of Marco (as well as my parents, since I do live in their home) I never would have been able to have a home birth. I have to admit that I had moments of doubt throughout the duration of my pregnancy, but those doubts were always forgotten after prayer or talks with Marco.
Having a home birth is a very personal decision that I know isn't for everyone, but what a difference it is from having a baby in a hospital. How grateful I am that I listened to the promptings I received and made the choice to have my baby at home. It was such an amazing experience.

2 comments:
Sounds a lot like what happened to me! Congrats on getting what you wanted : )
Thank you so much for sharing! Can't wait to hear about the birth experience itself. Your little boy is so beautiful!!
Post a Comment