Sunday, August 31, 2008

Okay.  So Sundays are usually the day I spend the most time playing the piano. I pull out all my church hymn arrangements as well as my children's songbook (as it is Sunday). It helps me to get in the mindset of "Okay it is Sunday and it is a day different than others." It really helps me to become ready to feel the spirit and all that jazz. 


Today was no different than any other. I wake up, snuggle with Marco for a little bit, eat some breakfast, and get ready for church. This usually leaves me about half an hour to an hour to play piano before we leave. I begin my piano playing and close to the end of it I hear this really loud "THUMP" from within the piano which in turn causes my foot to fall to the floor...along with the sustain pedal. I was absolutely devastated (and still am) and was a little perturbed at my piano. How could it ruin my Sunday? I was so close to being done and it has to go and break on me. 

I start my whining and complaining (so all that work I did to become all spiritual before church has flown out the window) and Marco tells me, "Just play it like you would the organ." I think, "Okay. Maybe that will work." It. does. not. work. The songs sound all plunky and stupid and it just makes me more upset. So I quit...and shake my fist at the piano every time I walk by it.

Now we have to find someone who can fix our piano (and hopefully tune it in the process) as I can't not have a sustain pedal.  If anyone knows of a good piano tuner/fixer, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation. 

I guess until it gets fixed I will have to play songs that either are all staccato or are by that one dude that had to write for harpsichords only so his stuff is really fast moving on both hands and you don't need a sustain pedal. 

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

So who knew that a piano could throw you a Sabbath curve ball? Not I, said she. My condolences to you .... and to the piano. Did you ever think that the piano got hurt in all this? Yeah, makes you pause and think, doesn't it?

PS Way to go on Sabbath preparation, by the way! Good girl.

Kimi said...

Darn it all! That stinks to high heaven. I hope your find a superior piano fixer-upper. In the meantime, by a kazoo :) Do your Sunday prep on that... good fun:)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Hi Jamie!! I can't remember how I found your blog but it's so fun to catch up on your life. Sorry about your piano. I hope you can get it fixed soon.
It's so fun to read about everything that you have been up to. You are such a beautiful girl. Good luck with school this semester!

Aracely